Protecting Our Democracy Act
In September 2020, House Democrats introduced the Protecting Our Democracy Act – a landmark reforms package that will prevent future presidential abuses, restore our system of checks and balances, strengthen accountability and transparency, and protect our elections.
Included in these reforms is Chairman Yarmuth’s Congressional Power of the Purse Act, which will reassert Congress’ Article I spending authorities and safeguard our nation’s separation of powers.
Protecting Our Democracy Act (Bill Text)
House Democrats Introduce Landmark Reforms Package, the Protecting Our Democracy Act (September 23, 2020)
Other House Budget Committee Resources
- Congressional Power of the Purse Act One-Pager (April 28, 2020)
- House Budget Committee Hearing: Protecting Congress’ Power of the Purse and the Rule of Law (March 11, 2020)
- House Budget Committee Report: Protecting Congress’ Power of the Purse and the Rule of Law (April 2, 2020)
- Chairman Yarmuth Floor Remarks Outlining Administration’s Systemic Lawbreaking (Special Order) (Jan 28, 2020)
- House Budget Committee Outlines OMB's Abuse of Apportionment Process (Dec 2, 2019)
- The Impoundment Control Act of 1974: What Is It? Why Does It Matter? (Oct 23, 2019)
- More Information on Budget Execution & Impoundment