ICYMI: The Costly Border Crisis
The House Committee on Homeland Security led by Chairman Mark. E. Green unveiled an interim report on the “fourth phase” of the Committee’s comprehensive oversight investigation examining the crisis at the Southern border. Further analyzing the policies of Homeland Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, the report is aimed at the direction of unpacking our exacerbated border crisis.
Word on the Street
- “’It is unconscionable for Secretary Mayorkas and President Biden to force the American people to pick up the tab for the crisis their border policies created,’ Chairman Green said. ‘Communities across this country, from the smallest border town to our largest city, are dealing with depleted emergency resources, public housing crises, overwhelmed public-school systems, damaged, or destroyed property, and overwhelming law enforcement costs—burdens these hardworking taxpayers were never prepared for, and should not be forced to pay. Today’s report outlines the devastating costs of refusing to enforce our nation’s laws and reaffirms the Homeland majority’s urgent demand for Biden and Mayorkas to end the failed policies that are threatening to bankrupt our cities and states.’”
- “’Biden and Mayorkas’ policies have forced substantial extra costs on state and local governments across the country, putting cash-strapped jurisdictions already struggling with limited resources in an even tighter bind as they scramble to cover these unplanned-for demands…’”
“’Mayorkas’ policies have enabled this mass waste and abuse of taxpayer resources. His policies and actions have encouraged millions of people to cross our border illegally. His department has released millions of illegal aliens into the United States rather than detaining or removing them, as required by law. And there is no end in sight.’”
The Biden Administration’s derelict policies generated a self-inflicted national security and humanitarian crisis. The Biden Administration’s broken border policies have increased the monthly average of illegal crossings by 368 percent in three years. This massive increase is a direct result of President Biden and Secretary Mayorkas’ actions ending border wall construction and deprioritizing immigration policies.
Secretary Mayorkas’ open-border policies have forced Americans to foot the bill for the costs of historically high levels of illegal border crossings. Illegal aliens have strained local health care systems, local government budgets, and are making American taxpaying lives more costly and unsafe at their own expense. The committee’s report documents in detail the costs of the Biden-Mayorkas border crisis.
The Bottom Line
The American people deserve to know the true fiscal cost of these faulty border policies. In a letter sent by Chairman Arrington demanding transparency from Secretary Mayorkas on how U.S. taxpayer dollars are being used – or not used – at our Southern border. To further compliment Chairman Green’s efforts, the House Budget Committee is trying to get to the bottom of improper spending of taxpayer money at the southern border. Some of the questions from the Chairman are:
- What has the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) spent on addressing the dramatic influx of migrant and the southwest border?
- What does DHS project to spend on addressing the border crisis for FY 2024?
- What has been the total cost of transporting, housing, relocating, and releasing illegal aliens in DHS custody?
- How much funding has DHS allocated to the construction of new border barriers?
- If there isn’t a crisis at the border, why is the Administration asking Congress for $4 billion in supplemental funding to address the border?
- Will the $9.5 billion that Texas is spending on the border go to enforce the national security of the United States be reimbursed by the Administration?
Click to read the Chairmans full requests HERE.
The House Budget Committee has a responsibility to assess “OMB’s legal authorities and manage federal spending.” Today there is an unprecedented level of illegal immigration in the United States burdening American taxpayers’ wallets. These open border policies are unsustainable, and House Republicans are working to pave a better path for future generations.